Monday, March 31, 2014

The Yamaha R15 Hero Honda Karizma ZMR Pulsar 220 all are commuter bikes!!

Yes, that’s right. I consider our "desi" bikes like the Yamaha R15, Hero Honda Karizma ZMR, Pulsar 220 as glorified commuter bikes.

Why?

Affordability:

I am sorry to burst the bubble of those who think their "desi" bikes are super cool sports bikes..

    Affordability will be one big factor here. A guy in India, who can afford a bike like the Kawasaki Ninja 250R at Rs. 3 lakhs, or a litre class import at 13-14 lakhs, will in all probability have at least a car in his garage.

    But the reverse cant be always said for a guy who uses one of our "affordable" bikes.

Purpose and Frequency of use:
    Let me ask a straight question. "How often do you ride your bike?" The most probable answer from a biker next door like me would be, "Almost everyday".

    Unlike developed nations where motorcycles are viewed and bought as toys for recreation, in India a motorcycle is mostly bought as an affordable tools to commute.

    Whereas in India most middle class guys who happens to own a car also sometimes keep or retain a two wheeler, just to use it for his daily commuting needs. This lets our middle class carwala to save on the fuel costs for that weekend lesuirely ride in his car.

Exceptions to the rule:

There will of course be a couple of guys who will buy our "desi" bikes just for the occasional long distance touring (Karizma), feel like the Fastest Indian (Pulsar 220) or for that occasional track day (R15) [provided he is lucky enough to live somewhere near Chennai]. But honestly, numbers of such guys will be minuscule.


Welcome to the real world

Therefore I am sorry to burst the bubble of those who think their bikes are super cool sports bikes, but bikes like the R15, Karizma ZMR can be considered as a slightly premium (in the Indian context) or glorified commuter, but a commuter nevertheless.

According to me, except the Kawasaki Ninja 250R and the 1000 (and plus) cc imported bikes; all the other bikes will come in the commuter class. Now, don’t get me wrong, since I have also done my share of grocery shopping with my wife on my Pulsar 220.

I have also seen more than a couple of times where dudes carry their saree clad mothers as pillion (sitting crossed legged) on his R15/Karizma ZMR/Pulsar 220!!

Need I say more?






Related Posts

  • Dummies Guide to International Motorcycle Categories


  • Why Do I Ride..??


  • Fat Rear Tyres: Need Vs. Want


  • Life Cycle of a "Desi" Biker..


  • Marriage, Motorcycles and Blogging do not mix well





Disclaimer:

This is to remind that the Views or Opinions in the blog are entirely mine unless explicitly stated. The Views and Opinions published in this blog should in no way be related to any other person or organization associated -- directly or indirectly -- with me.